Wednesday 23 October 2013

Goodbye Dan Peek

In a bit of sad news, I read that Dan Peek from the band America passed away just a few days ago. You have probably heard me rave on and on about Peek's guitar playing and songwriting. More than that, he was an amazing human. After I read the news, I promptly went into the bathroom and cried my eyes out for five minutes. I still feel like crying. Dan's guitar playing was, for lack of better words, mind-blowing. He wasn't perfect, but he had thunder and lightning. He had that sort of phychadelic grace, like Hendrix, but wasn't showy about it. Peek reminded me of Jim Morrison and Neil Young mixed together, with a little bit of Buddy Holly to complete the picture. He was suave. He had a brillant mind. I wanted to see him perform live someday, and perhaps that's why I cried. I don't know. I just loved him, and like any fan before their idol, it hit hard. Life takes the good ones, it really does. My heart grieves to say this . . . Goodbye Dan Peek. You are missed. You are loved. You'll always be loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment